Congress Park Area

click to enlarge

Congress Spring

Congress Spring was discovered in 1792 by a Congressman from New Hampshire. it became the centerpiece of the park and village that grew up around it. Bottled and sold around the world. Congress Water was the most famous of the Saratoga mineral waters. Covered by a Greek Revival style pavilion, a reproduction of the first pavilion built there in 1826, Congress Spring flows year round. (Cathartic, thought to benefit dyspepsia, gout, and skin ailments)

Columbian Spring

Once known as ‘the headache spring’ ,the Columbian now dispenses municipal drinking water; the original mineral water vein has been lost. Topped by a reproduction 19th century Federal style pavilion, it looks much as it did during the mid 1800s. (“Iron Water.” Strengthened the stomach, increased red blood cell count.)

Deer Park Spring

Also known as ‘the Deer Spring’ and marked by a diminutive ornate green and white cast iron monument, this spring dispenses water from a vein of the Congress Spring. In the late 1800s a rustic style Adirondack lodge stood at the south end of the park to house tame deer. This spring is named for its proximity to this once popular attraction. (Similar to Congress Spring)

click to enlarge

Hathorn

On the northeast corner of Putnam and Spring Street is the Hathorn #1 Spring, a moderately mineralized, diuretic water. The elaborate pavilion, benches, and landscaping, are recent additions to Saratoga’s landscape. This beautiful site demonstrates the city’s continued interest in maintaining and updating her most valuable natural resource, the mineral springs. (Cathartic, diuretic, ‘grateful’ to the stomach)