Greenridge Cemetery

click to enlarge

The Greenridge Cemetery, on Lincoln Avenue, was consecrated in June of 1844. Beautifully landscaped, with winding streets and pathways, it became the primary cemetery in for city of Saratoga Springs. Many families opted to move the remains of loved ones from the Gideon Burial Ground to the Greenridge Cemetery.

The original eleven acres, owned by Mary Avery, the widow of a Revolutionary War veteran, was on the outskirts of the village at that time. With space for 3000 graves, it was expected to be adequate for many years to come. However, by 1880, all available plots had been purchased, and the cemetery needed more acreage. It has expanded twice since then and is the largest cemetery in the city.

The graves of Native Americans, pioneers, entrepreneurs, African Americans, merchants and statesmen are mingled throughout. Some headstones predate the cemetery’s 1844 opening, because relatives moved remains of loved ones to the new site. The northeast corner was originally the Catholic section; “Potters Field” for indigents was situated at the southern boundary. About 20 Native Americans from the St. Regis tribe are said to be buried at Greenridge, but their graves are unmarked as was their custom.

click to enlarge

The gravestones and monuments in Greenridge represent many styles. Willows, urns, clasped hands and drapery are frequent themes found on the older stones. Decorative cast iron fences still surround some family plots although many of their gates have been stolen. In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, family mausoleums became popular with the upper class, and there are several fine examples. Some of the most exquisite statuary in the city can be found on this site.

Tours of the Greenridge Cemetery are conducted by the Preservation Society in the summer months and additional tours may be scheduled through the Visitor Center by calling 587-3241.

Greenridge Cemetery
17 Greenridge Place
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
518-584-5572