Yaddo

click to enlarge

The Yaddo gardens were a gift in 1899 from financier Spencer Trask to his wife Katrina, a poet and playwright. In 1900, when the Trasks determined that their estate should become a haven for creative artists, they stipulated that the gardens (always open to the public during their lifetime) should remain open to the public free of charge, even after the bulk of the more than 4000 acre estate was converted to an artist’s working community in 1926. Their wish has been honored and the gardens, which comprise approximately 10 acres of the property, now attract some 45,000 visitors each year.

The Yaddo Gardens include a formal rose garden based on Italian classical gardens the Trasks had seen on trips abroad, and an informal rock garden with a focus on indigenous landscape. Statuary, fountains and a 180-foot long pergola decorate the landscape.

The Yaddo Mansion, completed in 1893 and home to many of the more than 200 artists who annually enjoy the gift of uninterrupted time to work at Yaddo, can be viewed from the gardens but is not open to the public.

Union Avenue – P.O. Box 395
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
(518) 584-0746
www.yaddo.org