Saratoga History Museum

click to enlarge

Take a trip back in time when you enter the doors of this museum, once a high stakes gambling casino. The Saratoga Springs History Museum is the oldest museum in the city, begun in 1883 as the Saratoga Historical Society. Exhibits highlighting areas of the city’s history are featured, and its permanent collections include Telling the Story of Saratoga, The High Stakes Gambling Room, and the Walworth Memorial Museum.

The museum is located in beautiful Congress Park in the Canfield Casino. The building dates back to 1870 when race track founder John Morrissey built “The Clubhouse”. In 1894 Richard Canfield bought the building and added a $1million dining room and spent an additional million dollars establishing the Italian Gardens to the north of the building.

The Saratoga Springs History Museum has interactive displays as well as artifacts and exhibits that continue to tell Saratoga’s story. The museum also contains the Bolster collection of over 300,000 photographs that bring to life Saratoga Springs’ journey from a pine forest to a world class resort to the present day.

The Canfield Casino in Congress Park
1 East Congress Street PO Box 216
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
518-584-6920
www.saratogahistory.org